The Driny Cave
The Driny cave is the only cave open to public in the west of Slovakia. It is one of the main tourist attractions in Malé Karpaty Mountains (Little Carpathians). In comparison with our other caves open to the public, where are dominating more massive underground areas, the Driny Cave represents a network of narrower crack corridors, yet with exquisite dripstone decoration.
The Smolenice Castle
The origins of the castle date back to the 13th century, when castle belonged to Ctibor from Ctiborice (Ctibor zo Ctiboríc). Among other owners were noble families Országh and Pálfi. It burned up in the 18th century. The castle as it can be seen today was built by Jozef Pálfi in the 20th century. The castle was taken over by the Slovak National Council after the Second World War. It serves as a congress centre of The Slovak Academy of Sciences from the year 1953.
Water reservoir Boleráz
Water reservoir Boleráz is still rich in fishes and thus it is an all year round place sought for by fishers.
The Ostrý Kameň Castle
The castle was founded in the 13th century, as a border fortress, protecting the Czech Route. First mentions about the castle date back to the year 1366, when it was named as Eleskw. Its name symbolically reminds of the shape of the rock, on which is the castle built. In the 14th century the castle belonged to Ctibor z Ctiboríc. Later it was taken over by the noble family Czobor. After the castle passed to the ownership of the noble family Pálfi in the 18th century, it was just deteriorating. Parts of the bastion, palace and entrance tower remained preserved.
In the west of Slovakia, in the woods of Small Carpathians are found ruins of the ancient church and monastery dedicated to the Catherine of Alexandria. Ruins are situated 20 km northwards from Trnava, not far from villages Dechtice and Naháč.
The Dobrá Voda Castle
The Dobrá Voda Castle has been mentioned since the year 1263. The castle had a four-cornered tower, with an adjoint palace. To its owners belonged Matúš Čák Trenčiansky, later Ctibor z Ctiboríc. Ctibor ordered to build a chapel. After the last member of the noble family Ctibor had died, went the castle under the administration of the noble family Országh. They ordered to build a barbican and a cannon bastion. Other important owner of the castle was the noble family Erdody. During their ownership came to a destructive fire, this has caused a deterioration of the castle. Towers, cannon bastions and walls were preserved.
The Red Stone Castle
First mentions about the castle are from the year 1240. It had been damaged and renovated several times, now stated as a National cultural monument. The castle is a unique building. It was founded thanks to the queen Constance, wife of the king Přemysl Otakar I., later often changing owners. The noble family Fugger from Augsburg rebuilt the castle into a renaissance fortress. Later it became a ownership of the noble family Pálfi, which owned the castle until the end of the second world war. Near the castle is a chapel dedicated to Saint Catherine. Exposition shows attractive historical furniture and collections of pottery. Unique is the inbuilt artificial grotto in the interior of the palace, with waterfalls and fountains. The castle is under the administration of the Slovak National Museum.
The Korlátka Castle
The Korlátka Castle was built in the 13th century. In documents it is mentioned under various names, as for example Konrádov kameň, Korlátko, Korlathkeu, Korlathkw, Kunradstayn, Koratowe Kameny in Kunradi Lapide, Karlátkó, Konradstein. Owner of the castle was nobleman Uhrin and from the year 1394 Ctibor zo Ctiboríc. It had been abandoned in the 18th century, only ruins were preserved.
Mansion in Dolná Krupá
The Brunswick mansion can be found in the village Dolná Krupá. The Brunswicks were an important noble family, known as good friends of Ludwig van Beethoven, who composed his Moonlight sonata during his visit of this mansion. Today is the castle seat of the Music Museum, one of the few museums in Europe specialized in documentation of the history of music and musical instruments. The mansion is surrounded by an English park with a lake, artificial cave and a precious listed tree – giant sequoia (Sequoiadendron giganteum).
Ján Koniarek Gallery in Trnava
The Ján Koniarek Gallery was founded in 1976 in Trnava. The gallery focuses on 20th and 21th century fine art. To the collections belong masterpieces of artists active on the European scene as well as artists creating in the town of Trnava.
Dome of Saint Nicholas in Trnava
Dome of Saint Nicholas in Trnava is a gothic cathedral. Later, after the adjoint chapel has been built, it gained a baroque character. Famous is the picture depicting “The Merciful Virgin Mary of Trnava”. A festival of organ music takes place in the Dome.
The Western Slovakia Museum in Trnava
Museum belongs to one of the largest ones in Slovakia. It is located in the former Clarissine monastery from the 13th century. The collection fund consists of various historical, ethnographic and natural sciences expositions. Museum owns also a library, which consists of more than 50 thousand exemplars. In addition, part of the museum is the Music House of Mikuláš Schneider Trnavský. Collections of folk pottery, Japanese and Chinese handicrafts, sacral exposition and typical folk costumes from western Slovakia can be found in the museum.
8 minutes by car.
35 minutes by car.
40 minutes by car.
40 minutes by car.
Šaštín – Stráže
45 minutes by car.
1 hour by car.
1,5 hour by car.
2,5 hours by car.